today i have a hole in my heart. a very special friend is dead. a friend who i’ve gotten to know over the past 3 1/2 years. he’s left a hole in my heart.
what have i learned from knowing this man?
- he wanted to be free. he knew the life of drink wasn’t what he wanted but, when push came to shove, he couldn’t give it up. it took away the pain.
- he wanted to be accepted. he loved when people took the time to talk with him. he would share his stories, would laugh, would tease, and he would smile. oh, i’m going to miss that smile!
- he wanted to help. he was a hard worker in his better days. whenever there was a job to do, he was the first one to volunteer to help.
- he believed that God’s Son, Jesus, died for him. he asked for forgiveness for his sins.
- he wanted to die. he was dying. the drink was killing him. he had nothing left on earth to live for, so he wanted out. he had it planned out… but he never got that far.
the last time i saw him, he told me i wouldn’t see him again. it’s been three weeks, and he was right.
man, i’m gonna miss him.
and i must go on, being kind to someone else. giving them hope. loving them. respecting them. praying for them.
with tears… d